Setting the Standard: The construction industry is changing its image and we are asking you to help us with that mission. As the UK’s largest event for the built environment, UK Construction Week recognises it has an important role to play is setting an example, and that involves championing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the sector. We recognise from the experiences in 2017, as well as observing other events in the news that the utmost scrutiny must be applied in how companies are portraying themselves and the industry as a whole at UK Construction Week.
Exhibitor Code of Conduct Policy
STAND DESIGN & THEMES:
Interactive stands work! We encourage interactive, thought provoking, educational, and inspirational stands at UK Construction Week, and you will gain from additional marketing and PR as a result. Your stand should project who you are as a business and share your brand values with a wide and varied audience coming to the show.
The UKCW steering committee (representing key audience groups who visit the event) has expressed a need for UKCW to project the exciting and dynamic future of construction which will form the theme for the event going forwards and could also be useful guidance for your stand design ideas.
Consider how you would like your product or brand represented. This event attracts people looking to engage with you, either as an existing customer or potential customer. Consider also you will see students and educators (although a much smaller proportion), so it is important your stand can cater for all of them.
PLEASE BE ADVISED IF A STAND THEME IS DEEMED INAPPOPRIATE OR NON-COMPLIANT WITH THE UKCW EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION POLICY YOU MAY NOT BE PERMITTED TO OPEN YOUR STAND AT THE EVENT.
STAFFING YOUR STAND:
Your stand staff represents your company, and therefore they should appear professional, friendly and welcoming at all times.
If using promotional staff, the following rules must be adhered to:
- Clothing must be deemed appropriate for a business event. If the organiser deems the clothing to be unsuitable the organiser reserves the right to prevent admittance of the staff into the event.
- The exhibitor must inform the organiser which promotional staff agency they are using prior to the event
- Any activity promotional staff are asked to undertake other than on stand lead generation and handing our literature must be agreed with the organiser before the event
- Consider the mix of staff you have on the stand (Gender, age, ethnicity etc), do they represent the diversity of your company, and if not, be prepared to explain why not
- Consider whether you have asked staff to do something that could be deemed to objectify them as men or women as this is strictly forbidden and could result in closure of your stand
FOR YOUR BENEFIT:
Please be advised, these rules and regulations are being installed for your benefit. UK Construction Week is intended to be a fun, inspirational event and these measures are here to help you make the most of it, and avoid the pitfalls of getting elements of your stand wrong. The consequences of getting it wrong with the proliferation of social media means that a situation can escalate very quickly with limited ability to stop it.
If you get it right the opposite applies, whereby you can harness the power of social media like never before and benefit from your planning and investment in your stand.
If in doubt, please do not hesitate to speak to any of the UKCW team who can offer advice and tips. The event has assembled an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee to also help in this area.
Thank you for your cooperation on this.